Who can vote
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Tennessee
- be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- not have been convicted of a felony, or if convicted, have had your voting rights restored
- not be adjudicated incompetent by a court of competent jurisdiction (or have been restored to legal capacity)
- *find more information on voting rights restoration here
Vote in person
Vote on election day
Tennessee voters can also vote before Election Day. The early voting period runs from Wednesday, October 14, 2020 to Thursday, October 29, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.
What to bring
- You will need to show photo ID to vote in Tennessee. Acceptable forms include (can be expired): Tennessee driver’s license; US passport; photo ID issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security; photo ID issued by the federal or Tennessee state government; US military photo ID; or Tennessee handgun carry permit with your photo. College student IDs are not acceptable.
- If you’re a first-time voter who registered by mail, you will also need to show proof of residence to vote. Acceptable forms include: a current photo ID (unexpired); or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address.
- Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you will be able to vote a provisional ballot. You will then have two (2) business days after Election Day to return to the election commission office to show a valid photo ID. Upon returning to the election commission office, the voter will sign an affidavit and a copy of the voter’s photo ID will be made to be reviewed by the counting board.
Vote by mail
- Review the absentee ballot application and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements for voting absentee.
- Fill out the application completely.
- Submit the request to your local election office. You should request your ballot as far in advance of the election as possible. The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Tuesday, October 27, 2020.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.
Get step-by-step help
Election Day registration
Military and overseas voters
- Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
- Send the application to your election official.
- It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. You can look up recommended mailing dates by country and region.
- Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it. Following are recommended return dates to make sure your ballot arrives at your election office on time:
- 35 days before election – On a ship at sea: September 28, 2020
- 30 days before election – Outside of the US: October 2, 2020
- 11 days before the election – Stateside: October 23, 2020
- States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven’t received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then:
- You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
- If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
Check your voter registration status
Dates and deadlines
- Election day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
- The deadline to register online to vote is Monday, October 5, 2020.
- The deadline for registering by mail to vote is (postmarked by) Monday, October 5, 2020.
- The deadline to register in person to vote is Monday, October 5, 2020.
- The deadline to request a ballot by mail is (received by) Tuesday, October 27, 2020.
- The early voting period runs from Wednesday, October 14, 2020 to Thursday, October 29, 2020, but dates and hours may vary based on where you live.