Who can vote
- be a resident
- be 18 years of age or older on the day of the next election
- be a United States citizen
There is no minimum period of time you are required to have lived in the state before being allowed to register. You may register as soon as you move into your new community.
Online voter registration
By-mail voter registration
Election Day registration
In-person voter registration
- You can also register to vote in person. Contact your local election office for information on when and where to register to vote.
- You can also register to vote and cast a ballot in person on Election Day.
- Learn more by visiting the Secretary of State for New Hampshire or contacting your local election official.
Get step-by-step help
Military and overseas voters
- Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
- Send the application to your election official.
- It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. You can look up recommended mailing dates by country and region.
- Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it. Following are recommended return dates to make sure your ballot arrives at your election office on time:
- 35 days before election – On a ship at sea: September 28, 2020
- 30 days before election – Outside of the US: October 2, 2020
- 11 days before the election – Stateside: October 23, 2020
- States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven’t received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then:
- You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
- If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
Check your voter registration status
Dates and deadlines
- Election day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
- You can also register and vote on Election Day.